Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Project 1

So it took about a week to figure out what reference source/image I wanted to use for Project 1. I'm very much interested in Cubism and Russian Constructivism/Suprematism and was able to learn about their pieces, many of which appear to be all flat. Artists were using geometric shapes and wanted to represent these objects from all viewpoints, but failed to show the 3-dimensionality of objects on the flat surface. I chose one of Malevich's piece as a reference image. John encouraged me to try and play around with layering/crossing of the shapes. I made a sketch on Blender and layered geometric shapes on top of another and it gave me an idea how I'll be layering these pieces together. I am laser-cutting the geometric shapes from his piece (No way I'm cutting shapes with an x-acto knife. Thank God for laser cutting machines!) and somehow want to try and have the pieces "pop out". I have a clear picture of how the final piece is going to end up and I'm hoping I can get it the way I visualized it. I'm crossing my fingers. I will be applying this onto a 18x24 canvas. This morning I went to get the shapes laser cut. Cardboard was the initial plan, but the bookstore had run out so I went with the alternative and bought taskboards instead. The process went by really fast and I'm satisfied with the way it turned out. I now just have to figure out what colors I want on which piece and once I do, I'll start putting it all together. I'll be posting more pictures on the process!



edit - update 2/15/2010
so the the color choices were gold, silver, purple, red, blue, and yellow. I was still unsure which ones I'll be using so I bought all of them. I tried different color combinations, but decided to use purple, blue, and white (will be buying the spraypaint tomorrow) and have the canvas spraypainted black.

No comments:

Post a Comment